Location – Bristol
Contract type – Permanent
Stirling Dynamics, an affiliate company of Expleo Engineering (UK), is a fast-growing, advanced engineering company that delivers a range of complex systems, solutions and technical services to the civil aerospace, defence and marine markets.
Our strength is providing world-leading technical expertise, innovative products and a service worthy of our premium brand position; we achieve this through working collaboratively within the wider Expleo Group, our partners and our client base in building strong relationships that focus on delivering on commitments, open communication and transparency.
With annual revenue of more than £11m and ambitious plans, we are looking to recruit a Head of Business Development to play a vital role in our next phase of growth. The successful candidate will have demonstrable business development skills and experience and will lead a small team of business developers and marketing professionals, whilst also proactively developing business themselves. The successful candidate will have a positive and proactive approach to Business Development with the ability to identify client’s needs in advance of the formal tendering process, develop sales campaigns and construct compelling proposals.
The Head of Business Development will have proven leadership, management and coaching skills and will report directly to the Stirling Dynamics Business Unit Director as a member of the Executive Management Team.
The scope of the role will span all three of our Business Units (Aerospace Technical Services, Marine Solutions and Active Control Technology), the successful candidate will have good knowledge and understanding of at least one of these domains, the ability to leverage knowledge of key clients and experience in engineering consultancy / services. Additionally, the successful candidate will support the diversification plans by developing business in adjacent markets according to the company strategy and transferable engineering capabilities. The role will include both developing business with new clients and growing established client accounts.
More than 80% of our revenue is generated from outside the UK, therefore prior experience of international business development and international customer account management is a pre-requisite of this role, experience of business development in the U.S. would be highly advantageous. The ability to travel domestically and internationally is essential, but flexibility in terms of homeworking will also be offered.
Main responsibilities include:
- Translating the Company Strategy into a Business Development and Sales Strategy
- Leading, managing and coaching a small team of business developers and marketing professionals, setting meaningful objectives and achieving established KPIs.
- Keeping abreast of current trends within the civil aerospace, defence and marine sectors
- Identification of market opportunities and clients’ needs
- Development of sales campaigns and value propositions
- Creation of sales presentation and commercial proposals
- Winning sales orders to support ambitious growth plans and growing / managing an effective pipeline of business opportunities
- Developing Key Account Plans for established clients and capture plans for new clients
- Developing business across new and existing clients in all three of the established business units (Aerospace Technical Services, Marine Solutions and Active Control Technology)
- Maintaining and developing meaningful relationships and loyalty with our clients
- Responsibility for the complete sales process including lead generation, capture planning, solution creation, proposal writing, contract negotiations and account management
- Developing and owning the tools, methods and processes associated with Business Development (including SalesForce as our chosen CRM system)
- Ensuring that the Stirling Dynamics brand is proactively marketed to our key business domains through digital means (website and social media) and attending and/or exhibiting at key industry events.
- The Head of Business Development will report to the Business Unit Director and will become a member of the Stirling Dynamics Executive Management Team (EMT)
- The Head of Business Development will lead and manage a small team of business developers and marketing professionals (4 people)
- The Head of Business Development will work closely with the Head of Business and Business Unit Managers to ensure seamless interaction between sales and operations
- The Head of Business Development will work closely with their counterparts in Expleo to jointly manage common client account plans and develop joint offerings
- Stirling needs agile thinkers with a strong can-do attitude. The ability to “do” as well as delegate effectively is imperative. Pace is an important element of the role; many opportunities are reactive in nature, timely and effective response to clients’ needs is essential for success.
- A worldwide customer base requires a mature, effective and locally-targeted approach to cultural considerations for other ways of working, customs and practices.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Skills and experience in business development and sales in an engineering consultancy environment
- Skills and experience in leadership, management and coaching
- Skills and experience in creating proposals and sales presentations
- Knowledge and experience in using CRM systems, preferably SalesForce
- Knowledge of aerospace and defence markets including clients, competitors, market segment values, trends, new platform developments, technology providers
- Appreciation of the core engineering capabilities, in particular: flight sciences, aircraft systems, system design, product development, modelling and simulation and control theory
- An understanding of Export Control, Dual-Use and Foreign Regulatory Framework (ITAR, EAR) is highly desirable
- Skills in MS Office products
- Independent, self-motivated, flexible with a can-do attitude
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, organised and with a drive to follow-through projects to successful outcome
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with a diplomatic and professional approach to people
- The confidence to challenge practices and the willingness to question to gain a full understanding of issues
- A willingness to embrace change and an ability to implement new processes
- A team player who, uses initiative, is enthusiastic and engaging
FACTS AND FIGURES
Pay & Benefits: Competitive (including incentivised bonus)
Department: Business Development and Sales
Reporting to: Business Unit Director
Location: Bristol (Bristol Business Park) with some flexibility for home working
Contract type: Full Time
Job Reference: 64635