Purpose and scope
A Mechanical Design Engineer is required to support the Electromechanical Design & Test team by providing mechanical design expertise for the design and development of innovative technical solutions for parts and assemblies used within aerospace and flight simulator applications. The mechanical design engineer will be required to work closely with System, Stress, Electronics, Performance & Simulation engineers within a multidisciplinary project team to ensure the delivery of the project to the agreed technical requirements, timescales and budget. The mechanical design engineer will be involved in all aspects of the product design life cycle, this will include developing specifications, concept generation, design, implementation and in-serve product support.
Key accountabilities and role outputs
The Mechanical Design Engineer will be accountable to the Technical Manager & Project Technical lead for the following:
- Production of project drawing packs in line with configuration management processes.
- Producing Mechanical Designs and Drawings.
- Producing design specifications and interface specifications based on customer requirements.
- Providing robust conceptual and detail designs to satisfy the customer’s requirements.
- Preparing design support documentation, conducting design calculations and maintaining concise engineering records.
- Conducting engineering investigations for existing product improvements.
- Conducting research and collating data as required for trade studies.
- Compiling engineering memos & technical reports.
- Attending meeting and workshops.
- Working closely with staff to develop professional values & build good relationships
Responsibilities will be expected to be developed and finalised over time and will include but will not be restricted to:
The Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible for:
- Design of new products from concept through to production.
- Design of tooling to support product test and development.
- Providing support for stress and performance analysis activities.
- Collaboration with the other Engineering functions to ensure on time delivery.
- Ensure adherence to best practice technical standards, including those issued via the Company’s Quality Management System, classifications and statutory bodies.
- To optimise product design and development activities.
Skills knowledge and experience
- BS8888 (Essential)
- Detailed design of mechanical systems (Essential)
- ASME Y14.5 (Desirable)
- Design of electromechanical systems (Desirable)
- Mechanical actuation (Desirable)
- Electrical actuation (Desirable)
- SolidWorks (Essential)
- Experience using 3D CAD modelling tool(s) including 2D technical drawings (Essential)
- SolidWorks PDM (Desirable)
- Catia V5 (Desirable)
- Similar CAD software e.g. NX (Desirable)
Qualifications and cultural considerations
- Degree (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering with +3 years’ experience within a design environment
- Self-motivated. Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Positive/can do attitude.
- The ability to provide sound and innovative solutions to mechanical problems.
- Good verbal/communication/influencing skills.
- Team player
Department – Electromechanical Design & Test
Base location – Bristol Office
Salary – Grade 4/5
Reports to – Technical Manager
Contract type – Permanent