The successful candidate will be involved in the full project lifecycle from leading or assisting with bids for new and continuing work to delivering existing long-term programmes of work. Specifically, the role involves the planning, monitoring and control of allocated projects in the Aerospace Technical Services (ATS) business unit. Key to this is ensuring that projects are controlled in line with the company’s Quality Management System (QMS) and project management procedures within the level of delegated authority. Stirling Dynamics operates projects based on the PRINCE2 approach and aligns with the principles of the Association for Project Management (APM) Body of Knowledge (BoK).
These roles would suit a variety of candidates who have previous engineering and current project management experience looking to move into a fast-moving company with a world-wide customer base. The role and delegated authority will be tailored to the individual’s level of experience and ability. The role will be based at our offices in Stoke Gifford, Bristol.
- Reporting to a Programme Manager (and on a daily basis the Business Unit Manager)
- Manage a variety of projects in accordance with the company Programme, Project and Product Management company procedures, tailoring to each project as required under the direction of the Business Unit Manager.
- Preparation of all Project Start-up and Initiation Documentation, including: Project Briefs (Charter); Project Management Plans (PMP); project schedules; project budgets; and tracking registers.
- Ensure effective customer communications take place and that the customer needs are met in all respects, and effective internal communications are maintained.
- Tracking and monitoring progress of all allocated projects / work packages in terms of at least: Time, Cost and Quality.
- Co-ordination/collection of project data from all project team members, including hours booked, hours to complete, costs incurred/to complete.
- Management of project resource demand and participation in Business Unit resource levelling through accurate representation of the project demand in the business forecasting system.
- Control of project invoicing and management of payments with Finance Department and correct profiling within the business forecasting system.
- Management of Risk (through reduction) and Opportunity (through optimisation) in accordance with company procedures.
- Preparation of project financial data including budget updates, cost to go and cost at completion.
- Early and clear reporting, raising and escalation of project / work package issues, risks and potential problems.
- Support the implementation of Best Practice project management across the sector and identify opportunities for improving processes and efficiency.
In addition, depending on experience/grade:
- Participation in the Bid Phase either supporting the Business Unit Managers or leading the development of bids; including preparation of proposals, estimates and initial pricing.
- Stakeholder engagement, both internal and external to customer and suppliers.
- Subcontractor management, generation of Invitations to Tender (ITT), Request for Quotes (RFQ).
- Under direction, the management of any contract changes with the customer for all allocated projects, ensuring adherence to process.
- Liaison with Technical Lead(s) to ensure the configuration management of project product deliverables to company procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- A-Level (or equivalent) in Maths and English at least at Grade C (or equivalent).
- Previous experience in a similar role within a project or engineering environment.
- Competent user of Microsoft office suite; including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Further education in business or related discipline (HNC,HND, Foundation Degree).
- Experience of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, such as MS NAV/Dynamics or SAP.
- Qualified in PRINCE2 Foundation or Practitioner (or Project Management Professional).
- Member (or Associate) of the Association for Project Management (MAPM), or equivalent.
- Self-starter, able to work within delegated authority.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage own workload and work to deadlines.
- Ability to work with engineering, project and management teams.
- Confident in prioritisation and managing concurrent workstreams.
- Be an effective communicator, both written and verbal.
- A proactive and assertive nature with the motivation to succeed.
FACTS AND FIGURES
Pay & Benefits – Competitive Package
Department – Projects and Programmes
Reporting to – Programme Manager
Location – Stoke Gifford, Bristol
Contract type – Permanent