We’re looking for a talented Mid-Level Software Engineer or Senior Software Engineer to join our team in Bristol.
You’ll be familiar with all aspects of the software development lifecycle from requirements elicitation to verification & validation. Experience of embedded systems, real-time operating systems and safety-critical development within the aerospace and defence sectors will be an added advantage.
Working across our portfolio of aerospace, training and simulation and marine systems programmes, you’ll be flexible, willing to learn and value a changing environment. An ability to work from rapid concepts to more formal safety critical development projects and work closely with control and simulation engineers is essential to success in this role.
You’ll be based in our Bristol office and may require occasional trips to customer sites in the UK or internationally.
You must be willing to undergo and obtain UK Security Clearance.
- Be a key part of the software team providing in-house software engineering capability to the business
- Working across the software development lifecycle, develop software for:
- Non-flight worthy active flight control simulator products (sticks, throttles, pedals and G-Seats)
- Safety-critical marine and aerospace autopilot control system(s)
- Safety-related aircraft Nose Wheel Steering System (NWSS) Control Unit(s)
- Be willing to travel and engage with the customer in providing support during system integration
- Promote coding know-how, software safety knowledge and best practice within the software team
- Provide expertise in the application of safety-critical standards to software within the business
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the software function in its tooling and processes
- Promote within the project environment adherence to quality and standards, including those issued via the Company’s Quality Management System, classifications and statutory bodies
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree qualified (e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Embedded Systems)
- Awareness of DO-178B/C, IEC61508 or other equivalent software safety guidelines and standards
- Practical experience in working within the systems (and software) “V-Model” lifecycle
- Fully conversant in UML (or SysML) for systems analysis and specification leading to software design
- Understanding of the design constraints within embedded, real-time & safety-critical systems
- Exposure to DOORS for requirements management (desirable)
- Working knowledge of C and C++ (Ada or FORTRAN advantageous)
- Awareness of the role of coding standards and their application (e.g. MISRA)
- Experience of Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS): QNX, VxWorks, RT Linux, LynxOS
- Awareness of DevOps, continuous integration and tooling: JIRA, Perforce, GIT, Jenkins, etc.
- Device driver experience: CANBUS, RS232, RS485, Ethernet and ADC/DAC
- Prior experience of integrating MATLAB/Simulink auto-code
- Awareness and experience of testing tools (LDRA advantageous)
- Experience of Texas Instruments Development Environment and C2000 series processors (desirable)
The personal qualities of the jobholder will be key to success in this role. The following characteristics and qualities are identified as essential for the role:
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and be able to demonstrate initiative
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently when required
- Ability to take ownership of an activity and see through to a successful outcome
- Demonstrable diplomatic and professional approach when dealing with colleagues and customers
- Confidence to challenge practices and the willingness to question to gain a full understanding of issues
- The capability to work efficiently and accurately, with an attention to detail
At Stirling Dynamics we celebrate diversity. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do, we want to hear from you!
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
We review CV’s as we receive them and interview as soon as we receive good applications. We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoiding missing out on this role.
No agencies please