Business Development Manager – Marine
Stirling Dynamics, an affiliate company of Expleo Engineering (UK), is a fast-growing, advanced engineering company that delivers a range of complex systems, solutions and technical services to the civil aerospace, defence and marine markets.
Our strength is providing world-leading technical expertise, innovative products and a service worthy of our premium brand position; we achieve this through working collaboratively within the wider Expleo Group, our partners and our client base in building strong relationships that focus on delivering on commitments, open communication and transparency.
With annual revenue of more than £10m and ambitious plans for growth, we are looking to recruit an experienced Business Development Manager with an established track-record in the marine market sector to join us and lead our Marine Systems business development activities in both our established and emerging markets worldwide. The successful candidate will have demonstrable business development skills and experience with a positive and proactive approach to Business Development, with an ability to identify client needs in advance of the formal tendering process, develop sales campaigns and construct compelling proposals.
Applicants must have a strong business development mind-set and account management skills. It is highly advantageous that the successful candidate has an existing network of contacts within the MoD and wider marine domain and can use these to support Stirling’s rapidly growing business.
The ability to achieve and maintain UK Security Clearance is a mandatory pre-requisite for this role.
This role will be based in our Bristol offices with occasional travel to our clients’ sites as required however as part of our commitment to flexible working, employees are able to work remotely.
Main responsibilities include:
- Identification of new market opportunities and profiling of customer needs, from which to develop new sales campaigns and value propositions.
- Through new and ongoing relationship building, keeping abreast of current trends within the marine defence market, specifically the submarine and UUV sectors.
- Responsibility for the complete sales process including lead generation, capture planning, solution creation, proposal writing and contract negotiations.
- Creation of sales presentation material and commercial proposals as well as contributing to new service introduction initiatives.
- Winning sales orders to support ambitious growth plans and growing / managing an effective pipeline of business opportunities.
- Developing and maintaining Key Account Plans for established clients and capture plans for new clients.
- Seeking and understanding competitors’ offerings in the market segment; their offerings and technologies, assessment of their strengths and weaknesses, define Stirling’s price competitive response.
- Maintaining up-to-date account, campaign and opportunity information and status in SalesForce as our chosen CRM system.
- Produce regular reports and business updates as requested.
- Supporting the promotion of the Stirling Dynamics brand through digital means (website and social media) and attending and/or exhibiting at key industry events.
- The Business Development Manager (Marine) will report to the Vice President and Executive Management Team (EMT).
- The Business Development Manager (Marine) will work within and contribute to a project-oriented matrix organisation comprising of cross-functional teams made up of marketing professionals, project managers and engineers allocated to specific bids and projects.
- The Business Development Manager (Marine) will work closely with their counterparts in Expleo Engineering (parent company) to jointly manage common client account plans and develop joint offerings.
- Stirling needs agile thinkers with a strong can-do attitude. The ability to “do” as well as delegate effectively is imperative. Pace is an important element of the role; many opportunities are reactive in nature, timely and effective response to clients’ needs is essential for success.
- A worldwide customer base requires a mature, effective and locally targeted approach to cultural considerations for other ways of working, customs and practices.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Sales / Business Development experience in a marine engineering environment with relevant business or engineering qualifications.
- Sales / Business Development experience in an engineering services or engineering consultancy organisation.
- Knowledge of the domestic and international marine defence market sector trends, MoD procurement and major players (particularly submarine or other near-field highly regulated industry) covering customers/competitors, market segment values, new platform developments, technology providers.
- An appreciation of the core engineering capabilities, in particular, system design, product development, modelling and simulation and control theory.
- Knowledge and experience in using CRM systems, preferably SalesForce.
- An understanding of Export Control, Dual-Use and Foreign Regulatory Framework (ITAR, EAR) is highly desirable.
- Skills and experience in creating proposals and sales presentations.
- Skills in MS Office products.
- Independent, self-motivated and flexible with a can-do attitude.
- Entrepreneurial and innovative business mind-set.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, organised and with a drive to follow-through projects to successful outcome.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with a diplomatic and professional approach to people.
- A team player who uses initiative, is enthusiastic and engaging.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required.
FACTS AND FIGURES
Pay & Benefits – Competitive Package depending on experience
Department – Business Development and Sales
Reporting to – Vice President
Location – Stoke Gifford, Bristol (Remote working is possible through our flexible working policy)
Contract type – Permanent
Job Reference – 21/38
Apply Download job information